ICC Abroad: Passion for Italy Scholarship
The Italian Cultural Center (ICC) seeks to encourage knowledge of and enthusiasm for Italy by funding talented students who have been accepted to study abroad at St. John’s Rome Campus during the summer, fall or spring sessions. Applicants must be currently matriculated undergraduate students who have completed their first year at St. John’s, have a minimum 3.25 GPA, and have commitment to sharing their learning abroad and their passion for Italy through a project or event upon their return to New York.
The Italian Cultural Center Scholarship
This award is applicable to the following St. John’s University programs, with the following awards:
- Summer Session I or II: $3,000
- Rome Semester (Discover Italy): $2,000
- Discover the World: Europe: $1,000 (required class: Italian 1010 unless DTW: Pharmacy)
To apply, please complete the “ICC Abroad: Passion for Italy” scholarship application and submit it to email@example.com. Here are a few other application details:
- Be sure to meet the ICC’s application deadlines: Fall semester – April 1; Spring semester - October 1; Summer term – March 1
- Print and complete the application: Italian Cultural Center Scholarship - Application 2019.pdf
- Write an essay (minimum 250 words) describing your interest in Italy, what you hope to learn inside and outside the classroom, and what you’ll do upon return to New York to “share Italy” with the St. John’s community. Sample projects include: dorm events co-sponsored with RAs, focusing a class project or presentation on Italy, linking with the International House dorm learning community, among many others.
- Provide one reference letter or email from a St. John’s faculty member with whom you have studied. Letters must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the professor writing your recommendation and received by the deadlines listed above.
- Reminders: to apply, you must be a currently enrolled and matriculated undergraduate of St. John’s University, have completed your first year, and have a GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- Upon completion of the time in Rome, recipients will receive an invitation to attend an ICC Welcome Reception where they will meet the ICC Board members and informally talk about their experiences in Rome.
Are all matriculated undergraduates at St. John’s eligible for this program?
- Nearly… Students may not apply only if they receive full tuition in the form of a scholarship, or if they receive tuition remission (typically through a family member employed at St. John’s).
Do I need to be Italian or Italian-American to apply?
- Absolutely not! You just need a commitment to learning about Italian culture, then spreading your love of Italy upon your return.